Saturday, June 5, 2010

Papert's Opinion.

thanks to this flickrer for the big blue apple lego.


Seymour Papert is the inventor of the Logo Computer Language the first and most important effort to give children control over new technology. He has written many articles regarding the issue of the importance of technology in schools. In his article, "Technology in schools: To support the system or render it obsolete", Papert comments on the idea of whether schools can simply 'introduce' technology into their classrooms, or whether schools need to 'change completely' to accommodate for true technology-enhanced learning. He states:

"And as long as schools confine the technology to simply improving what they are doing rather than really changing the system, nothing very significant will happen".

Sorry Seymour, I disagree.
Maybe I am just being put off by everyones need to introduce every little bit of technology into schools, but really - no, I don't think changing the entire system is necessary! Sure, technology is advancing at a rapid rate, but honestly, children do not need to have it thrown in their faces every second of the day. For example, I really don't like the idea of people wanting to introduce the iPad to read stories. JUST GET A REAL BOOK!

I understand and appreciate Papert's viewpoint, and although I am not against technology in schools, I truely believe there needs to be a balance. Too much technology can be over stimulating, resulting in student misbehaviour, or simply a lack of physical activity.

When I become a practicing teacher, of course, I will definately use and appreciate technology in my classroom. But I will make sure there is a balance. All in all, in my opinion, technology should be used to 'improve' the current system, not to 'change' it completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment