Saturday, September 12, 2009

6th Teaching Day

Thursday 10th September:

Today was a good day, behaviour wise, however my teaching could have been better. I planned to teach a Visual Arts lesson on Collage, making links to HSIE and Maths. The Festival of the Winds at Bondi Beach is a large kite-flying event that the school is directly part of, and so I decided that this would be the focus of the Art Lesson. I made my own model of a collage of kites flying in the sky, using watercolour for a background wash, different coloured kite shapes with patterns, and then string. My tertiary supervisor unexpectedly came in to watch that lesson, which made me quite nervous, but I got a good report, which was a relief!

I first made them close their eyes and imagine what the sky would look like full of kites, how they felt, what colours they saw, who was there, were they flying the kite etc. Then I asked them these questions, using group alerting (especially on the child that seems disinterested in most things). This strategy worked well, as it made him actually look and think before responding and then he got into the lesson with excitement.

I spoke about Kites, how they flew, what you needed to fly a kite, who owned a kite, who had been to the festival before. I also explained the nature of a collage, and that it was about using lots of different materials to create a whole picture that looked good. I used the small portable whiteboard again, which I think is so vital as you don’t need to disturb the class by turning your back on them. I pinned my model collage to the whiteboard and went through how I did the artwork, and explained things like shape and pattern to them (revising the 2D shape lesson I did with them previously).

Explaining how to perform this task was difficult as I had originally planned to use the Art Room, but another class desperately needed to use it so I had to fit in and use my classroom, which was not set up as well as the Art room was. I made them repeat the instructions back to me, and said I could only have 4 children painting at a time, and only people that were really working hard would be first. They all seemed really into it, and they loved my model collage which was flattering (it was met with lots of “ooooaaaaahhhh’s!”).

It was difficult organising the children into groups of who was painting and who was designing their patterns, and I would do it much differently if I had to do it again. The lesson went for longer than an hour, and even then the children couldn’t finish, so I would have to continue it tomorrow.

I really enjoy art, and this lesson was no exception. Although some kids were almost too excited about this and it was hard to organise, seeing kids painting and enjoying it really made me happy. Definitely will be doing more Art in the future with them!


*Image: 'His Feast' www.flickr.com/photos/66076061@N00/3391380208

No comments:

Post a Comment